sun set

sun set

Wednesday, November 18, 2015

Day 27

 Day 27


As I left the office I told Kathy Brannan that I was headed out the door to walk.  She then shared how she was getting ready to walk outside too.  It was inspiring.  Not just that moment but over the years listening to her as she talked about walking.  She really loves to walk, or to hike.  For years I have been amazed and a bit envious at the joy she finds in hiking. She and her husband go to beautiful places and plan trips around hiking.  She will be retiring at the end of this year and yet she is arguably one of the most fit staff members here.  She is also someone to be admired for her work ethic and the sheer amount of work she is able to get done.  Like I said, she is inspiring.  When I started this process I actually thought of her and how much joy she finds in it.  So after our brief interaction I headed out the door to go change, put on a rain coat and start walking.  


I barely took any pictures because the rain was really coming down.  At first I thought I would just walk around campus quick and then head back in but thinking of Kathy and the whole point of finding the joy I decided to keep going. I walked around campus and then headed down the road the the retirement community where I walked up this very long hill.  It wasn't easy but it felt good.  It felt good to not only keep going but to challenge myself.  I enjoyed the sound of the rain on my jacket.  My pants started getting wet and then as the rain got harder it was blowing in my face. 


This is my favorite picture.  It is just the light through a tree while raining but it sure does look like a spider web to me.  How incredible that in the darkness and in the rain I still found nature that intrigued me.  God is so amazing. As I turned the corner at the top of the hill there was no light and it felt like I was walking into pitch black. For a brief moment I started to think about bears (yes they have been known to roam these streets) and or dogs, and then I just made myself stop.  Nope I'm "singing in the rain, I'm singing in the rain."  As I turned the corner there was a big wonderful street light that illuminated everything.  How often do I fear the unknown, the next turn, the possibility of what might happen and loose the opportunity to sing in the rain! 


 I ended my walk walking up the same set of stairs I walked up last night.  After the long hill, and the rain coming down, I didn't attack them quite as hard as last night, but I still just kept climbing steady and strong.  Wow it felt so good.  By the time I walked onto the porch I was drenched.  What a walk. 

No comments:

Post a Comment