Day 22
After an incredibly productive day, Chris and I sat down for dinner. As I was basking in the Sabbath music, a full tummy, the feelings of accomplishment, I realized I had not yet walked. For a second, I tried to find any part of my day that could classify as a walk. Alas, the only walking I had done was between the car and the orthodontists office. Nope, that won't qualify. So I put on my shoes and left the smell of pumpkin bread baking and the sound of men singing praises acapella, and headed out into the cool fall air. As I looked up before stepping off the porch I saw the moon. It is a beautiful crescent moon. I just stood there and took it in. Then I realized I should try to get a picture. I basically spent my entire walk trying to get a good shot of this moon. I never did really. It was a beautiful walk though.
How could it be that I could see the moon so big and beautiful and with such clarity and yet the camera couldn't come close to capturing it. I know, it is just a phone camera, you say. Yes it is quite remarkable that I can hold something as small as my phone and it can capture pictures at all. Yet at the same time I have two very small eyes, and they see it all so perfectly and they are old 46 year old eyes. How is it possible?
I then moved on to look at the trees against the darkening blue sky. It looks like black lace.
But there it was again. So big, so bright, so beautiful. The sky almost sapphire the black trees and that bright beautiful moon. It is one of those crescent moons where you can faintly see the whole moon. But just the crescent is bright. It was spectacular. But no luck with the camera. It didn't even look crescent half the time. ERGGGGGG. The moon looked like this.... (these were found on the internet. Not on my walk)
Above is what I saw... Below what I captured.
Then the moment. I think we will all agree that no matter what it is, amazing works of art, or amazing craftsmanship are honored, cared for and cherished. Chris has a bass guitar that means a lot to him. First his family bought it for him, but it is also an amazing instrument that yields great sound, so he is very careful to care for it. It is always put away, handled with care, never left in the car in the heat etc. So how is this body, that God gave me any different. These eyes are amazing instruments that can see so much better than a camera that the smartest people in the world have spent generations trying to develop and that is JUST my eyes. A whole new way of thinking of this body as a temple. I guess I need to do my best to care for it! Why should a guitar, or a painting get better treatment than me?
For you created my inmost being;
you knit me together in my mother’s womb.
14 I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
your works are wonderful,
I know that full well.
15 My frame was not hidden from you
when I was made in the secret place,
when I was woven together in the depths of the earth.
16 Your eyes saw my unformed body;
all the days ordained for me were written in your book
before one of them came to be.
17 How precious to me are your thoughts,[a] God!
How vast is the sum of them!
18 Were I to count them,
they would outnumber the grains of sand—
when I awake, I am still with you. Psalms 139: 12-18
you knit me together in my mother’s womb.
14 I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
your works are wonderful,
I know that full well.
15 My frame was not hidden from you
when I was made in the secret place,
when I was woven together in the depths of the earth.
16 Your eyes saw my unformed body;
all the days ordained for me were written in your book
before one of them came to be.
17 How precious to me are your thoughts,[a] God!
How vast is the sum of them!
18 Were I to count them,
they would outnumber the grains of sand—
when I awake, I am still with you. Psalms 139: 12-18


No comments:
Post a Comment