Day 23
Today was one of those very long Sabbaths. Chris and I got up around 6 am and started the last minute preparations for today's lunch. We had invited a wonderful family to come and eat lunch after church. We rushed out the door just minutes before 8 am. We had an early morning practice, then Sabbath School started at 9:30. After teaching the Sabbath School class, we both headed into church where Chris played the bass in the band and I was the worship leader. After church we invited a second family over for lunch and headed home to get the last of the food ready. We had a table full of food and friends. After dessert the kids started running around the house playing hide and seek. The adults talked the entire afternoon. We got up from the lunch table around 5pm. We then changed our clothes and drove into Matthews where we met the pastor and His family to celebrate Laura's birthday. (We were very late, but better late than never.) Then we headed home and arrived home around 9:50pm. So as you can see no time for a walk during day light hours. However as we were driving home I was planning what I would need to wear, to stay warm and be seen, I was trying to think of where everything was that I would need. I never questioned whether or not I would go walking it was just how, or what I could do to prepare. So armed with a flashlight, my down coat, and a scarf I headed out into the cold.
Out where we live it is very dark. I turned on the flash light and was instantly struck by fear. I was intently listening, wishing I could see into the darkness. I started trying to use my flash light to see out into the dark. No luck. I couldn't see anything. I kept walking and looking into the darkness. Then I started wondering, "what are you afraid of?" I couldn't come up with anything. Deer, they are too afraid of me, possum, they aren't going to hurt me, skunk, they would just make me stink. I finally decided that this fear was irrational. So instead of looking into the darkness, I looked up.
Oh wow! WOW!! The stars were amazing! Bright beautiful, I saw the little dipper, then the big dipper. Then I looked down and instantly I was afraid again trying to see what if anything was around me. That made me mad, so I prayed. I prayed to be surrounded by angels, and then my prayer changed, "Lord, I know I am here because you have convicted me I need to be walking with you. So I ask that you, "perfect love" cast out my fear!!!! I want to walk with you. Here in the darkness, enjoying your beautiful heavens, I want to walk with you and without fear." Lord thank you for promising that perfect love will cast out fear!
I finished my prayer and looked back up to the sky. Almost immediately I saw a falling star. I can't begin to express how beautiful it was and how excited I was to see it. Needless to say my fear was Gone! Not just lessened, GONE! I turned off the flashlight, and walked with my eyes looking up to the heavens. I praised Him for the heavens, the stars, and the walk. I saw several more falling stars.
As I turned back toward home, the sky wasn't as bright. The lights from Charlotte in the distance made the stars fade slightly. It was still beautiful but not as intense. As soon as I would turn with my back to Charlotte, the sky would once again darken, and the stars shown brighter.
Tonight, I am so thankful for a walk that was free of fear! Tonight, I am so thankful for the reminder that if we keep our eyes on Jesus, if we look to Him instead of the shadows or the darkness, we will see the beauty all around us. We all have the choice. Do we look to Him or do we look to our fears?
I'm sorry there was no way to capture the night sky, the stars with my camera. You will just have to trust me it was spectacular!
No comments:
Post a Comment